merdeka drabbles

today's 31st August.. the day my country gains its independence..

gifted to us, the latter generations by a our founding forefathers

with every bead of sweat, every ounce of effort to search for that ray of sunshine

to finally award us with the meaning of freedom

but i'm starting to wonder what the real price is behind this so called freedom

if my country men are throwing away their lives as if it means nothing

if my country women give birth to the future generation only to dump them in drains and sewers

if the only way to get around is through so called political conspiracy

and if the word merdeka finally means nothing more than a day of festivities and getting drunk.

I love my country and I'm not ashamed to admit it

flaws and faults, it still is the place I consider home

Just that I hope we could all get to finally believe

that being merdeka is not just about getting independence for the state

but also independence of the mind, the soul and the heart

the mind to be put together to build a nation able to withstand the hardship of the world

the soul to put aside our differences and hold on to each other as we fight our enemies

and the heart to believe that the love that we have for this country is pure and true.

Happy Independence Day, Malaysia.

0 comments: