kurung merah jambu

i'm feeling really proud of myself... see, i've taken up something new! alright, i'm bluffing, i didn't actually take it up rather being 'forced upon' by mama to take up a new thing which is sewing...

yes, you heard me loud and clear...sewing, historically, a must have skill for every young girl and a pre-requisite before meeting your future mother-in-law... an activity that in this current time and age is seeing the furry lights of extinction... but which i took upon as a challenge, to finish my personal own pair of baju kurung...

fortunately, my granny, Mak Semah was around to show me the way... she even shared the story of how during the world war II, when there was no threads (benang) to be used, people those days had to use pineapple leaves that were soaked to make threads... epic....

first step, Mak Semah helping to measure and cut the material


that's me sewing the pieces together


this is called jahit tepi, where we trim the edges off


the hardest part that took me 2 days, 'menikam' tulang belut and 'menyembat'


tada.... the finish product

now i know why tailors charge more than RM35 for a basic baju kurung... it really takes a lot of patience and frustration to get it right...when will i make my next pair..hmmm.. we'll just have to see about that shall we...

p/s huge congrats to my sis kak chik for her 9A's in PMR...

0 comments: